Saturday, May 31, 2008

San Diego, Day Two

Today we woke up a little later and it was overcast out. I took a morning swim in the outdoor pool – a little cold, but the water was warm and it felt good to get some exercise. Then we got breakfast at [drum roll]… Jamba Juice! Yes, we finally found one that was open at the same time that we wanted to eat breakfast. It was great, especially since we ate outside and the weather was improving. So it was simply a perfect morning.

Then we toured the San Diego Zoo, which was pretty amazing. The thing that makes it different from other zoos is the fact that it’s almost entirely outside. The animals seem to have a lot of room to live, and the zoo obviously makes a huge effort to put the animals in with their natural environment, with the trees, flowers and other vegetation that they would be used to. We had lunch at an outdoor café, and walked a lot.

I found out the name of the tree I keep seeing everywhere with the purple flowers. It is called the Jacaranda tree. They line the streets here and were all over the zoo. They are amazing. I wish I could grow them in the northern climate, but they don’t like winter very much.

After the zoo, we drove around the city a little and saw the waterfront. There are several aircraft carriers in the harbor. One of them, the Midway, is a museum. I think the other ones are still in service. We also saw a Carnival cruise ship.

Then we came back to the hotel and took a nap. We’ll get some dinner soon. Tomorrow we fly back to Boston. Our flight leaves around 11 and we get into Boston around midnight Eastern time. Long trip, but not quite as long as it took to get out here, I guess. ☺

We’ve had a really nice trip. At the beginning of the trip, I thought that two weeks was a long time, but it went by quickly and we’ve seen a lot. I love being on vacation and I love seeing new things. But I’ll be glad to be home too.

I’m going to try to keep this blog going after I get back, although I don’t think I’ll have a lot of interesting things to say. ☺

I have some photos to post, but the internet connection is not so good so I'll post them later.

No comments: