Thursday, June 4, 2009

Missing: My Head

Today is a good indicator of what happens to your head when you don't get enough sleep.

Last night was actually a good night on the sleep front. Jim was on duty, which meant I didn't have to get up in the night. Annie slept from 8pm to about 10. Jim fed her about half a bottle at 10:15 and she promptly fell back asleep. She only woke up once during the night, at 2:45, for a bottle. Her next feeding was after Jim went to work, around 7:10am. So we only woke up once with her during the night. This has been happening more and more, which is very good.

But today, I don't know what has happened to me. I am so tired and my mind feels cloudy. Maybe all the lack of sleep is catching up with me.

My plan was to meet up with a friend in late morning. I was going to leave the house at 10 to miss the morning rush hour. Of course, this was right when Annie was due to eat, but I figured that she would be OK if we were a little late, and she'd sleep in the car anyway. I got her in the car and left the driveway at 10:05. Things were good. I got on the highway, and then it occurred to me that I had forgotten Annie's diaper bag. With her bottles, diapers, and everything else. And I was already late on her feeding. Ugh.

So I got off the highway and figured out how to turn around. In Boston, just because you get off the highway doesn't always mean that there's an entrance to get on the highway going in the opposite direction. In fact, most exits don't work that way on Route 93, which is the main highway going into Boston from Quincy. But luckily, I knew how to get home from the exit and my mind apparently was clear enough to get me there.

I stopped for gas first, then pulled into the driveway. Because I forgot to turn off the car while the clutch was still in, I stalled the car in the driveway as soon as I took my foot off the clutch. I got Annie out of the car, walked up the back stairs, and saw that the back door was wide open. I had left the house through the front door and forgot to close the back door! The diaper bag was waiting in the kitchen. I seriously considered canceling my outing because I really felt like I wasn't functioning at a level where I should be driving a car. I figured that next I'd lock myself out of the house or lock Annie in the car with it running. Something crazy like that.

But none of that happened and it was all fine in the end. I fed Annie before getting back on the road. (I checked to make sure I had my keys about 100 times). We were at my friend's house by noon. We stayed a couple of hours, had lunch and then came back home.

I'm really tired. I wonder if I'll get a nap in today.

No comments: