Monday, June 16, 2008

Toastmasters and thunderstorms

Tonight JK2 and I decided to try out a Toastmasters meeting. It was pretty interesting. I was envisioning going to a meeting full of very self-confident orators who gave great, inspiring, Kennedy-esque speeches ("Ask not what your country can do for you ..."). Instead, there were just a few people there. They were normal people who were getting over their fear of public speaking. They gave normal speeches about normal life. JK2 would like to join because he wants to become a better public speaker. It wouldn't do me any harm either, especially since public speaking is an important part of my job. :) We'll see. It seems like most of the Toastmaster clubs close up shop for the summer.

Tonight we're having a thunderstorm! We don't get very many of them here, compared to Buffalo, so it's nice when they come. Here is what Zeusy does during thunderstorms:

She hides! :) In my closet. And her pupils get really big. She hates thunderstorms. But I generally like them, unless they wake me up in the middle of the night. Then I'm scared too, just like Zeus. There was a huge, spooky thunderstorm in the night before my dad died. I'll never forget that. Anyway, I'm mostly happy about my garden getting some rain tonight. I guess it rained this weekend, but a little more won't hurt and it means I won't have to water for a day or more.

No comments: