Friday, April 10, 2009

It's gardening time!

Finally! It is time to start gardening. I love it. The magnolia trees are starting to open up, the forsythia is in bloom, and my crocuses are well past peak. My daffodils will be open in a week probably.

Jim worked manure/compost into the garden last weekend, so it was time for me to plant my cold weather veggies. Normally I would do it on the weekend, but it's supposed to rain tomorrow and be cold on Sunday. And thanks to daylight savings, it was still light when I got home from work (in fact, it still is now too). And it was 63 degrees. Time to do a little gardening before dinner. So I planted my radishes, snowpeas, garlic, and Asian spicy greens (fancy lettuce). Jim stayed late at work tonight to play poker with some of his co-workers.

You might ask how my back is doing. The answer is that it felt pretty crappy right afterward, but it's pretty much OK now. It actually wasn't as hard as I thought to put the seeds in the ground, and it felt really nice to actually be outside.

While I was out there, I met the new neighbors that moved into the red house behind our house last fall. (This is the house with the door that goes to nowhere, if you remember. They actually got rid of the door and put up siding where it was. This happened in the fall, I think). I'm embarrassed to say that I don't remember their names. But they were very friendly. I think they're Irish. They were carrying a small black and white cat, who they said didn't go outside normally.

It is supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow, so it was a good opportunity to plant the seeds. Our hoses aren't hooked up yet so I didn't water the seeds tonight. I figure they'll get enough water soon.

No comments: