Friday, October 30, 2009

Morning before the Tornado

Tonight we are hosting a Halloween costume party for nine children under the age of 5 and about twenty adults. Most of the people coming are from our neighborhood. I felt that all our neighbors throw little parties and always invite us; we should do the same. Plus, I love Halloween, and Annika has a cute cat costume!

However, it has hit me that we're going to have NINE kids in our unchildproofed house! Ack! What was I thinking?? I'll post photos tomorrow.

My plan was to go grocery shopping this morning, but Annika went down for a nap right when I was planning on going. She had an odd morning. We put her to bed last night at around 7:30 to try to start with the switchover off Daylight Savings Time. But instead of sleeping longer, she actually woke up around 5:15, about an hour earlier than usual. We just left her in her crib to see what she would do, and she did eventually go back to sleep til 7. However, I think she treated that back-to-sleep period as her morning nap. So when I went to put her down for her morning nap, she was not interested.

What's more, I tried to give her peas this morning, along with the normal oatmeal. After a few spoonfuls of peas, she gagged and threw up about half her morning bottle, along with all the oatmeal and peas. What a mess. I don't blame her - peas are gross, and baby-food peas are even worse. But the morale of the story is that I really shouldn't be giving her new food so close to her bottle. It's hard on days when I work, since that hour in the morning is really my only opportunity and I'm not ready to start having daycare feed her solids.

We have found one solid food that she likes (besides cereal): carrots! She actually really likes them. Foods that make her gag: squash, bananas, avocado, and now peas. We'll be trying peas again this afternoon.

Annika is asleep now, so it's time for me to clean up the house and be ready for grocery shopping as soon as she wakes up.

No comments: